This is the most feared M-word: Mold.
Most of the areas in your house you visit daily can have mold. These are a multitude of fungi organisms that can converge and occupy your property.
Mold spores are harmless in small quantities, but when they start to multiply, the spores can be released into the air, making it hazardous to inhale or live in.
Mold is deadly to inhale, especially for people with breathing difficulties or immune deficiencies. Mold can make it unbearable to stay or work in a place.
If you see mold starting to build up in your home, you need to quickly get rid of it before it spreads; because if it does, it would be difficult to treat it as it spreads like wildfire.
When getting rid of mold, you’ll have to have a mask on to ensure you don’t inhale the tiny spores. If you have underlying respiratory problems, you’ll need to get some assistance to avoid exposure to the fungus. It is also advisable to have a pair of rubber gloves on for maximum protection.
1. White Vinegar
One way to naturally remove mold is through the use of white vinegar, but only the distilled one. To make distilled vinegar, you need to ferment grain alcohol. Applying vinegar to the mold can kill up to 80% of the spores. You can also counter their growth by spraying the vinegar on spots susceptible to buildup.
Allow the vinegar to settle where there is an infection and watch it kill the spores. Don’t be quick to scrub off the area because the vinegar needs time.
2. Tea Tree Oil
You can use tea tree oil on a variety of surfaces. If you haven’t worked with it yet, you’ll be quick to realize that it has a strong scent, which would be a bad option if you have respiratory problems. The oil is also expensive, which would be a huge stretch for some.
To use tea tree oil, you need to mix two teaspoons of tea tree oil with two cups of water in a spray bottle. Shake the mixture and apply to the mold-infested area. Let the mixture settle and kill the spores, don’t scrub anything from the beginning, wait a bit.
Related: The 10 Best Trees For Homesteaders
3. Moisture Control
Mold loves moisture. If your drain is leaking, you probably have it under the cabinet. Eliminating leakages is critical to stopping the buildup of mold.
Repair the leak and dry the wet boards with a fan or heater. If they are damaged, replace them.
A cracked roof can be an opening for mold spores to invade your home. If there’s an area that always gets moisture from the air, you should use silica products to maintain the spot. A dehumidifier would be another fantastic tool, especially if you place it in the basement.
Ensure that you take care of all spills and never leave wet rugs or clothes lying around as mold or mildew will grow on them in no time.
Put the dehumidifiers under your stairs or around your house to help absorb excess moisture. They are an exceptional add-on for your home.
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a fantastic supplement that can be used to reduce moisture, cook, clean, and get rid of smells, to name a few. There are a variety of ways to tackle mold using baking soda.
You can mix it with vinegar, water or use it by itself.
If you want to use it by itself, you’ll have to sprinkle it onto your showers, cabinets, and carpets and let it sit. Clean these areas after a while, then re-sprinkle it again if necessary. Baking soda is a mild cleaner so you can use it on any surface.
If you choose to mix the baking soda with white vinegar or water, ensure that it has dissolved completely before applying it.
- Add baking soda to a spray bottle.
- Add the white vinegar or water.
- Stir until the baking soda has dissolved.
- Spray the mold with the mixture and scrub it off after fifteen minutes with a scrub or damp rug.
5. Grapefruit Seed Extract
This is another “no-shortcut method” that can produce magnificent results. Though the grapefruit seed extract is expensive similar to the tea tree oil, it is odorless.
To use it, you need to add 20 drops of extract to two cups of water in a spray bottle, then mix. After mixing, spray the mold-infested area and leave it as there is no need to scrub or wipe the area.
6. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen Peroxide can clean your wounds and your sink when you clean your wound over it. This bubbly cleaner can also get rid of mold.
Spray or pour 3% hydrogen peroxide on a rag or directly onto the mold and watch as it gets to work. After ten minutes, wipe the area and watch as the mold vanishes.
Light weakens the peroxide, so store it in a dark bottle.
As you now know all the natural options to combat mold, you need to choose the best one for you and your health. Unlike the scentless mold, some of these home remedies have some smell to them. After applying them, leave the house to allow the scents to settle.
If you find some of these remedies too strong for your liking, choose the odorless options on the list. Bare this in mind, depending on your respiratory health condition.
You may also like:
DIY Cheap Bio Enzyme Solution For Home Cleaning
What To Do If You Find This Odd Berry? (Video)
10 Money Saving Tips From A Cheapskate
Most Threatening Insects You Should Keep Away From Your Garden
How You Can Find Out If Your Homestead Water Is Polluted Or Clean
if you mix a small amount of generic liquid chlorine bleach (no additives, the same as you can use to disinfect potable water) with regular tap water in a spray bottle, spray it on the mold and let it sit for a few minutes the same as described for vinegar, it kills mold and works especially well in damp and harder to clean areas like grout and caulking in bathrooms and kitchens. CAUTION: do not use too strong a solution- about 1 part bleach to 10 parts water, and ventilate the area well because evaporating chlorine can be an irritant to eyes and respiratory tracts. We always turn the exhaust fans on when using the diluted chlorine and have not had any problems.
I agree. I’ve tried several natural methods to remove mold, but none of them give results as good as chlorine. I live in a very damp climate. Though I would always prefer to use a natural mold remover, I’ve found chlorine bleach to be a necessary evil in my house.
A few years ago we had mold in a wall cavity and the remediation guy said they use a strong borax solution on wood because it kills the mold without destroying the wood fibers like bleach does. It works!
Thank you. This post was helpful!
Using diluted bleach to kill mold in my home turned out to be a big mistake for me. The fumes burned my lungs and I was sick for months. That was almost 14 years ago, and I seem to have recovered fully. Ever since then I have only used vinegar and baking soda.